A little more on the Olympic torch

Hi everyone

If you go back to Tuesdays post about the Olympic torch through Hawarden you will see that Joanna (Craftyjo) has left a comment.

Joanna is right there have been lots of negative comments about this event.  The things I have heard have been mainly about the amount of money spent on the torches - but did you know that if you were chosen you were asked to pay for the torch - that is why you were allowed to keep it & why some have sold theirs to raise money for various reasons. I don't know what happened if you couldn't or wouldn't pay for the torch - perhaps then you didn't keep it.  There were also comments about all the torch bearers wearing the white track suits - well perhaps they had to pay for those too. I don't know - I am just thinking.

I was really pleased that the event passed the end of my road but I was a little surprised to find out today that it didn't go to Mold - our County seat?

I guess I belong to the old school - I love everything patriotic.  Yes there is waste sometimes in these grand events that are put on - but this year there are 2 things we will not see again in our lifetime.  Or perhaps I should say in my lifetime. The Olympics is not likely to come this way again for a very long time.  I think that it is great it has happened this year when we have the diamond jubilee to celebrate as well. A way to show the rest of the world what Great Britain is all about, & I think that the event in Hawarden on Tuesday showed just that.  If you didn't believe in these things would you go out & buy an alice band with bouncy union flags on them; would you stand in the street for an hour or more waving flags - that 99% of the time were upside down.  (The manufacturers fault).  No.

Years ago - when I was about 11 the Queen & Princess Margaret came to Portsmouth & all my family went to the nearest point we could get to, to see them pass through the area.  The car went by at a reasonable pace that we really only just caught a glimpse of them.  Now I think about it if I was 11 the Queen might not yet have been the Queen hence she was only with Princess Margaret.  I had to wait until a couple of weeks ago to get a better view of her.  I tell you - it was worth the wait.

I hope in your area you are having parties & celebrating & I hope we do well in the Olympics.  My friend has an ancestor who won a gold medal in the 1908 Summer Olympics.  At those Olympics we won 56 gold medals, 51 silver & 39 Bronze.  A total of 146 medals & we were ranked number 1.  Lets see what 2012 has in store.

Wow! get me going on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CSNW Photos & last post

Updated post