Thursday, 30 November 2017

health update

Good morning everyone.
I thought I would write a post this morning bringing you all up to date with my health situation at this time.

On the 22nd November I had a meeting with my consultant for the result of the biopsy on the mass he had removed.  He informed me that the mass had been larger than they thought & I would need further surgery to remove more lymph nodes & that he recommended a mastectomy.  

As you can probably imagine this completely floored Bob & I. I was knocked for 6 & that night the tears flowed which I guess was bound to happen at some time as I had not given into them before.

The first thing he wanted was for me to have a full CT scan before having the surgery to check for the possibility of any further occurrences.
I had that scan on 23rd November (yes - that quick) & returned to see the consultant on the 28 November for the results of the CT scan.
It’s a bit of good & bad news depending on where you sit in the scheme of things.
The CT scan showed small amounts of cancer material in my bones – so that is now the priority.

On Monday I am having a Radioisotope scan (a process which takes hours!!).  This will then be followed fairly soon by a visit to the oncologist.  My consultant said that the oncologist was pretty certain that she could treat these cells given that it is small amounts. The further surgery mentioned earlier is now on hold & there is a very slight chance it, this session of chemo, could help with the problem still in the breast – but not definite. 

The chemo is to start as soon as possible after seeing the oncologist & could take up to 6 months depending on how well I respond.
Both Bob & I feel a little happier strangely – both of us for the same reason. We had both been worrying that the scan would show up something awful – so small amounts in the bones – sort of “good” news.  I am a little relieved that surgery is not the immediate option, although the fact that I might still have to have some is not good news.  I just really couldn’t face another op so soon.
So – now a new road to take & face whatever it brings.  

Being decidedly female – my big concern now – my hair & losing it.  The consultant said that most chemo treatments will cause hair loss – but that the oncologist will be able to guide me on this.  He also said not to go & get my hair all cut off until I had spoken to her.  As if.

But I have started looking at wigs on line .............. such lovely shopping sessions   😕

So there you have it.  It probably means that I won't make meetings in the New Year - but I will have a better idea when I know what days & how many & how they fit into the times & dates of your meetings.  I will be there when I can.  In the meantime I know that you will all pull together to keep the meetings going & probably come up with some great ideas too.

Don't forget to keep me informed so that I can keep in touch by blogging.

Thank you also for your continued good wishes they are much appreciated not only by me but Bob too.

That is me for today.  I will let you know how I get on with the oncologist.

Tomorrow I have photos from Tuesdays Mold II meeting to show you & still more members news - so it should keep me busy for a few days.

'Bye for now - take care of yourselves.


No comments:

Post a comment

Please leave a comment - it is always nice to receive your thoughts.

ALL comments are moderated & will not appear here until I have approved them - this is to avoid spam & junk comments. Apologies for having to build this in to the system