member showcase

Good morning everyone - yuk, what a horrible wet day.  Bob has just come in & said he was speaking to someone who said it was snowing in Mold!

Today I have a member showcase for you & it is from Joanna of Mold club but not sewing this time - a memory shadow box;


There is a lovely story behind this.
I was going to give a brief outline but decided -------------------

Why don't I let Joanna explain!

"A bit of history - one of my sisters had a horse for many years, he was put in a retirement home a few years ago and sadly recently died (he was 26!).  Another sister thought it would be a nice to make her a shadow box with some memento's but, as she doesn't craft, she asked me to do it!

I have never made one but did a bit of research and then went to the Range to purchase a frame (they're very cheap, a little over £5 for a 12x12).

One of the items was a horseshoe but Ted was huge with very large hooves and it weighed far too much to add to the frame, would have made it hang unevenly too!

So, I had some photos printed at CostCo, one is 12x12 for the background. I die-cut and matted some others and then wrestled with the plaited mane and tail - it didn't want to curl around easily, I had to
stitch it to the background with invisible thread.  I found a large clip in my stash saying 'love lives here' which I thought apt and then also discovered an embroidered 'forever' - hence the odd patches of colour in the box.

The star came in a box from the retirement centre with the words printed on the top of it. I decided to cut the letters out and stick them around the frame - think that took longer than everything else!  I measured, counted, die cut like mad (using dss on the back of the card before cutting). To make sure they didn't get knocked off I spray-varnished it 5 times - I do hope that works!

Anyhow, *I* am delighted with the finished article, especially for a first attempt! I could be tempted to do more now, like scrap booking but more dimensional.  Actually, I still have the plait cut from my son's hair after he finished Uni and was about to start work...could be nice way to use that in some 'art' 😊 "

As I have inserted this here before asking Joanna - I know she will not ind me showing you the text but I have changed where she names any family members.  Also along with the photo of the shadow box Joanna sent me a photo of her son before he had his hair cut.  I haven't included that - but if Joanna says it is OK I will show it in another post.

That's me for today.
I am off to Rhuddlan for the CSNW meeting tonight.  Hope that snow stays away.
'Bye.

Comments

  1. Thanks for showing this Gloria, I don't mind at all you sharing the story. I delivered it firstly to the sister who'd commissioned it and she said the other one would cry - she was right! Happy tears were shed. She is still moving it around trying to find the perfect location for it to hang and the horseshoe is going outside somewhere ;)

    You are welcome to show my son's photo if you wish - he'd grown his hair the whole time he was at Uni in Manchester but, when he got a job he (quite rightly) decided a haircut was needed to look professional!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - it is always nice to receive your thoughts.

PLEASE NOTE;
ALL comments are moderated & will not appear here until I have approved them - this is to avoid spam & junk comments. Apologies for having to build this in to the system

Popular posts from this blog

CSNW Photos & last post

Updated post

Jayne Nestorenko