a crafty workshop

Good afternoon ladies
Goodness me where has the sunshine gone.

Well, as I already told you I was attending a workshop yesterday being run by one of the retailers that attends the stamp festival.  It was for the members of HSNW - we have a couple of these a year.  Yesterday the visiting retailer was Jean & Malcolm from Crafty Individuals.

We were really spoilt with the projects they had chosen & the materials available to us.  I completed 4 projects in all, as I think did most of the ladies.

We started the morning by making a rather nice pendant into which we put one of the little pictures that Crafty Individuals is well known for.  This was a nice easy project to start with but I could have chosen a brighter picture to use, then I would have been able to do more with it.

I have stamped in it - a little white butterfly.

The resin cover that goes over the picture helps magnify what is beneath it but does stop you putting any deep embellishment under it.

The second project was the one that possibly needed the most time.  It was a little chipboard frame that has its own stand.

My frame was octagonal & in natural chipboard so needed covering or colouring in some way.

 It took me a while to decide how to decorate it as we had such a large choice of materials, but eventually I found the paper I liked the most.

I used the back of the frame to cut the shape from the paper for the lining.  For a little while I toyed with the idea of covering the frame with the paper as well.  But no - I couldn't see me cutting around that curly outline very neatly.

I then coloured the chipboard with Adirondack Denim ink over which I also put a thin layer of Stonewashed, as it softened the shade of blue a little.

Around the frame I stamped in black ink a little butterfly which I had borrowed from the large selection that Crafty Individuals had brought with them.  Next I chose a slightly larger butterfly & stamped it twice onto the leftover paper from the frame lining.  Having found some flowers that went well with the inked frame I decided to place them against one edge & then the butterfly diagonally opposite.  I glued one of the butterflies to the frame & then glued the second one over it by the body only.  I found some small flat backed gems & placed 3 down the butterfly body to emphasise it.  Gems were also put on the 3 flowers.  The frame was edge with some dainty white & gold braid. I really like this project & bought a couple more to do.

The other 2 projects I completed were both tags.  We used some beautiful patterned tags & at first it seemed a shame to work over them, but I did - one a little more than the other & I have bought a couple of packs to play some more.  The pink one has an easel style strut at the back so that it can stand.  I didn't put a strut on the blue one but had some leftover card which I may now add to it to make a slightly shorter back to it - so that it will stand up landscape orientation.

                           


As you can see I was a little more adventuresome on the blue tag than on the pink tag.  I stamped with one of my flourish stamps on the pink tag & added some flowers.

The top right-hand flower has a filigree floral brad placed through it.  I should have taken a close up of it.

The blue tag again has stamping on it on the frame, which was again one of my flourish stamps.  Before stamping the frame I coloured it with a pale blue Promarker, as the inks were not drying on the frames.  I then selected one of the butterfly pictures to put behind it & another one which I glued to the piece of card that was pushed out to create the frame, with some flat backed gems placed above & below it. some of the ladies had lots more on their tags - I just find it a shame to cover the design on them like that - but they are in very delicate colours which I am sure Jean designed them so they would just be backgrounds. Each time I try something like this I do put more on them.

This morning as I took the photos I remembered that I had some tools that were for distressing paper - but one of them I had used in the past to take away excess paper around a shape.  So I am wondering if I might have been able to cover the aperture of the frame & use that tool to get a neat finish.  Must try that on one of the frame I have bought.

A most enjoyable day - I didn't get tired & lasted all day- but definitely tired today.

So there you have it I hope you enjoyed reading about my day & trust you all had a good day too.

Tomorrow I am out with Sue - who knows where we will go, but I will tell you all about it.

Comments

  1. Lovely Gloria, looks like you had a wonderful day playing....what fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - it is always nice to receive your thoughts.

PLEASE NOTE;
ALL comments are moderated & will not appear here until I have approved them - this is to avoid spam & junk comments. Apologies for having to build this in to the system

Popular posts from this blog

CSNW Photos & last post

Updated post